Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Spain


This week in International Foods we focused on the country of Spain and made a Spanish omelet.
Spain is a country located in southern Europe. It is on the Iberian Peninsula to the south of France and east of Portugal. Spain has a coastline on the Bay of Biscay and the Mediterranean Sea. The main food products produced from the Spanish region are grain, vegetables, olives, wine grapes, sugar beets, citrus, beef, pork, poultry, dairy products and fish. As you can imagine, this is what their dishes mostly consist of and focus heavily on.




Spanish Omelet
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1 large potato, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Recipe
  1. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add onion and potato and sprinkle with salt. Cook until soft, but not brown, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add about one-third of beaten egg. Using a spatula, lift up omelet at the edges and center to allow egg to run under potato and onion. Repeat this procedure until all egg has been added.
  3. When egg is firm but still slightly moist and golden on the bottom, run the spatula under to loosen it from the pan. Then place a plate over the top and flip omelet onto the plate.
  4. Add another tablespoon olive oil to the pan and slide the omelet back in, brown side up. Continue cooking omelet over moderate heat until golden on the other side.

My Thoughts
Personally, I really enjoyed this Spanish unit. The omelet we made was surprisingly good. Although, I would would have have enjoyed to try a real meal instead of just a breakfast cuisine, I still believe this dish is worth trying. If I had to change anything about this recipe, I wouldn't do as many potatoes or I would've chopping them into thinner cubes. Overall, Spain was a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment